Monday, October 14, 2013

Recess Football

Dear Resume,

I know, I know, most teachers cringe at merely the thought of a football on campus. Kids get too competitive, argue and fight, trip and fall, someone loses a tooth.... But I see it as an opportunity to foster good sportsmanship (only team captains discuss differences, arguing means sitting out a week), learning to be a good teammate (I chose the teams, blending boys and girls, 4th and 5th graders, skill and maturity levels), and appreciation of the sport being played for fun. Most of our students have never played any organized sport, while a few of them come from a very competitive sport culture. I am emphasizing getting all team members involved, everyone runs the ball at least once, and creating/practicing plays on days there are no games.

The FFL, Friday Football League, get ready for a recess game

No comments:

Post a Comment